Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Aging is a terrible, terrible thing

Nothing like being reminded of your advanced age and decrepitude a week or so before school starts.  

I was in the Home Depot checkout line and my slightly overly-cheerful cashier remarked that she liked my T-shirt.  I was wearing an NRHS senior shirt from the class of 2003 (yes, I know, I should have sent it to Goodwill years ago).  It has the Superman logo on the front, with "seniors" written inside that.  I asked the cashier if she was a New Richmond graduate, and she said no, but that both of her in-laws were senior citizens as well and that's why she commented on the shirt.  

Well, so much for trying to recapture my lost youth.  Of course, I didn't want to embarrass her, so I didn't do much other than produce a weak smile as I left the checkout lane.  Needless to say, I've been feeling like a haggard old crone since then.  The Clinique web site is about to get quite a bit of business courtesy of my rapidly decomposing face, and now, if you'll excuse me, I must rush to join AARP, drink Metamucil and crochet something.  

I hope I can make it through the school year without a walker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment